The Director of the University Galleries is an innovative and entrepreneurial leader capable of elevating an already well-respected enterprise to a new level of excellence. The Director is broadly knowledgeable in art with a sophisticated understanding of issues and opportunities associated with contemporary cultural organizations. The Director is expected to articulate a compelling vision for the integration of exhibition, education, and engagement, one that positions the galleries as an essential component of the intellectual life of the university, a rich resource for the surrounding community, and a willing partner for cultural institutions throughout the region. Reporting to the Dean of the College of the Arts, the Director must be equally adept at both the curatorial and the managerial responsibilities of the position.
• Responsible for exhibition planning, program development, audience development, budget development and management, internal and external communications, strategic planning, and operations, including the supervision of an administrative staff.
• The Director must also demonstrate a keen interest in acquiring increased external resources to support gallery programs through fundraising, donor engagement, and revenue generation.
• The Director will hold a concurrent term appointment (rank to be determined) as a member of the faculty of the Department of Art and Design with the expectation of teaching during each academic year at least one course of mutual benefit to the department and the galleries.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
• A minimum of seven years' experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities of the position.
• An advanced degree in a field relevant to the position.
• Exceptional leadership, decision-making, interpersonal, planning, and organizational skills.
• Ability to develop and manage a budget.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Enthusiasm for the use of technology to advance objectives.
Interested candidates will need to submit a resume and cover letter for consideration.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.