Bronx Museum of the Arts
The Bronx Museum of the Arts is an internationally recognized cultural destination that presents innovative contemporary art exhibitions and education programs and is committed to promoting cross-cultural dialogues for diverse audiences. The Museum seeks a visionary and strategic leader for the position of Executive Director. Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Director will work closely with the Board to develop and implement institutional plans for fundraising, exhibitions, collections, education programs and community engagement. A key priority will be garnering resources for growth across all programmatic, operational and physical aspects of the Museum (www.bronxmuseum.org).
Summary of Responsibilities
• Works closely with the Board to develop strategic direction and initiatives to fulfill the mission of the Museum and to increase local, statewide, national and international awareness and prominence.
• Responsible for an annual operating budget of $4 million and leading a full-time staff of 20, part-time staff, volunteers and consultants.
• Serves as spokesperson and chief advocate for the Museum that reaches audiences of 100,000 annually, and establishes strong local community partnerships.
• Leads and participates in fundraising and development activities, including relationships with government agencies, foundations, corporations and individual donors.
• Oversees senior departmental staff responsible for exhibitions, public programming, development, finance, staffing, facilities and external communications.
• Minimum of five years of successful experience as Executive Director, Deputy Director or Senior Curator, or similar senior managerial role, in a museum or other organization recognized for international contemporary art expertise.
• Ability to effectively provide leadership and strategic direction working cooperatively with trustees, volunteers and community constituencies.
• Track record of successful fundraising in the public and private sectors. Experience in nonprofit organizations with significant government support.
• Passion for contemporary art paired with a proven commitment to access for and inclusion of multiple diverse constituencies within the local community.
• Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, art history, or a related field. Advanced degree highly preferred.
About the Museum
The Bronx Museum of the Arts is a contemporary art museum that connects diverse audiences to the urban experience through its permanent collection, special exhibitions, and education programs. Reflecting the borough's dynamic communities, the Museum is the crossroad where artists, local residents, national and international visitors meet. Since its founding in 1971, the Museum has played a vital role in the Bronx making art accessible to the entire community and connecting with local schools, artists, teens and families through robust education initiatives and public programs. The Bronx is one of the most ethnically and socioeconomically varied constituencies in U.S., composed largely of Latino and African American populations as well as increasing audiences originally from West Africa and the Caribbean.
The Bronx Museum of the Arts is a member of the New York City Cultural Institutions Group comprised of 33 institutions located on City-owned property and receiving significant capital and operating support from the City. Museum facilities of 35,000 sq.ft. include a 16,000 sq.ft. wing designed by Arquitectonica that opened in 2006. A 5-year, $14 million capital project recently launched to improve the community gallery spaces and the visitor experience.
Commensurate with experience. The Museum offers an excellent benefits package and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Submission of applications (resume with cover letter indicating interest) and nominations are encouraged by February 16, 2018, when application review will commence:
Executive Search Committee
Bronx Museum of the Arts
1040 Grand Concourse
Bronx, NY 10456