Position Title: Museum Director
Supervisor: Executive Director
Grade: 59, exempt
Hours: 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday
The museum director will lead the museum team in planning and delivering innovative exhibits in a highly collaborative environment. The director will oversee long-term exhibition planning, budget, and all aspects of museum operations. The ideal candidate will combine knowledge of one area of the Dumbarton Oaks collections with strong leadership and administrative skills. The incumbent will join our community at an exciting time of expansion of both our academic and public programs and will contribute to the ongoing Dumbarton Oaks Access Initiative by helping us design and deliver free and open access to the collections through digital and educational initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversees all aspects of museum operations including administration, budget, and staff.
• Oversees exhibition planning and delivery, leading the museum team and collaborating with other departments as well as external partners.
• Oversees handling, conservation, insurance, and loans of collections.
• Collaborates closely with other departments on building maintenance and security; outreach; and planning and delivery of public programs.
• Oversees the transition to an updated collections management system.
• Oversees the digital and print publication of museum collection and exhibition catalogues.
• Leads the overhaul of the museum digital and web presence, including the provision of open access catalogues and high-resolution images of the museum collections.
• Engages actively with new scholarship relating to the Dumbarton Oaks collections, as well as with up-to-date museum practices and initiatives.
• Mentors fellows and interns from Harvard University as part of Dumbarton Oaks’ skill-building programs for early-career humanists.
• Maintains coordination with Harvard University policies as appropriate.
• Performs special projects and duties as required by the Director and Executive Director.
Manage a team of ten full-time museum professionals.