The Jewish Museum:
Located in the landmark Warburg mansion on New York City’s Museum Mile, the Jewish Museum is a museum at the intersection of art and Jewish culture for people of all backgrounds. Founded in 1904, the Museum was the first institution of its kind in the United States and one of the oldest Jewish museums in the world.
The Museum maintains a unique collection of nearly 30,000 works of art, ceremonial objects, and media reflecting the global Jewish experience over more than 4,000 years. The Museum’s dynamic exhibitions and public programs provide platforms for cross-cultural dialogue, fostering empathy, mutual understanding, and respect.
The Jewish Museum seeks a bright, entrepreneurial Chief of Staff to support the Director, enabling her to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and to fulfill her commitments to the Jewish Museum Board of Directors, staff, funders and constituents. This is a highly strategic and facilitative role that requires emotional intelligence, self-motivation, flexibility, strong analytical skills, and exemplary written and verbal communications.
The Chief of Staff will have privileged access to the inner workings of the Jewish Museum and to highly sensitive information. The successful candidate will be discrete, proactive, a direct communicator, a highly-organized project manager, and committed to the vision and values of the Jewish Museum.
The job duties of this position are fluid and evolving, but generally encompass the following primary responsibilities:
- Preparing and facilitating critical path meetings. These include face-to-face meetings and calls with Trustees, donors, the senior leadership team, and other internal and external stakeholders. The Chief of Staff is responsible for ensuring the Director’s time is leveraged effectively, by engaging the right participants, setting the agenda, and ensuring the Director is well prepared.
- Proactively identifying issues and supporting effective communication. The Chief elevates issues about which the Director should be aware, and, conversely, represents the Director’s position to constituents throughout the Museum. By keeping both the Director and senior leaders informed of issues and initiatives, the Chief of Staff plays a critical role in the efficient flow of information across the Museum.
- Facilitating special Director-initiated projects. While the vast majority of Director-initiated projects will find homes among the division leaders and their staffs, others will more appropriately reside within the office of the Director and be facilitated by the Chief of Staff. Projects may range from overseeing a Board retreat to convening thought leaders on various topics.
- Drafting communications on behalf of the Director. The Chief of Staff must be a skilled and efficient writer who can emulate the director’s “voice” for a large volume of communications, including remarks at special events, meeting talking points, and materials for various speaking engagements involving internal and external audiences.
- Serving as Board Liaison and Secretary. Working with the Director’s Executive assistant, the Chief of Staff oversees the Board calendar, ensuring that all meetings are scheduled and properly attended, managing agendas, content, and materials for Board of Trustees and Board committee meetings.
Qualifications and Core Competencies:
- MBA or other advanced degree required; Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience, ideally in a nonprofit or cultural organization
- Highly-developed communications skills (written/verbal), with an ability to work effectively with a highly visual thinker
- Ability to successfully navigate multiple priorities within a fast-paced environment
- Unquestionable ethics, integrity, and trust
- A good sense of humor and a calm demeanor under pressure
- Knowledge of the art world is desirable but not essential
To apply, send Resume with Cover Letter To:
Associate Director, Human Resources
The Jewish Museum
1109 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10128
The Jewish Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and encourages applications from candidates of all backgrounds.