Position Title: Postdoctoral Curatorial Fellow
Reports to: Chief Curator at KIA; Art and Art History Department Chair at Kalamazoo College
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Summary of Position: The Kalamazoo Institute of Arts and Kalamazoo College seek a postdoctoral fellow for the 2020-2021 academic year. This position will simultaneously diversify and expand the art history curriculum at Kalamazoo College while building increased curatorial capacity for the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts.
▪ Preferably recent Ph.D. holders (degree granted within the past five years or by September 30, 2020).
▪ Specialization in art history, cultural studies or ethnic studies.
▪ Propose two new interdisciplinary courses that intersect with art history, the KIA collection of American Art and inclusive of race and ethnicity.
▪ Propose potential research areas with Kalamazoo College students utilizing the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts permanent collection.
▪ Fellowship period will run for six months with a review to determine renewal.
Kalamazoo College Responsibilities:
▪ Teach one or two courses in the fall of 2020. Courses offered and schedule will be determined in consultation with the Department of Art and Art History at Kalamazoo College and may include Shared Passages courses, interdisciplinary cross-listed courses, as well as art history electives and core requirements for the art history major.
▪ Deliver an annual public lecture on postdoctoral research.
▪ Participate in Kalamazoo College departmental and college-wide events.
▪ Work with Art and Art History faculty in assessing and implementing the new art history curriculum and course offerings
▪ Serve as a mentor for Art History majors and minors
▪ Create opportunities for students to utilize the KIA collection in terms of coursework, assignments, events, etc.
▪ Work with department and college communities on hosting symposia, inviting speakers, visiting artists. Coordinate opportunities for collaboration on these events with the KIA.
▪ Participate in Studio Art SIP critiques and grading during the winter quarters.
Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Responsibilities:
▪ Conducts research and promotes learning opportunities within the various segments of the permanent collections. Researching the collection to tell the story of Kalamazoo and its ongoing legacy. Invite students to participate in research by introducing them to the KIA’s collection.
▪ Coordinates and manages internal and external research and cataloguing of the permanent collection, including compiling information for the object files and the input of information into the digital collections database. In conjunction with KIA registrar, responsible researching best practices for the care and conservation of the American Art collection.
▪ Creation of original gallery didactics for the permanent collection, including label writing, collections highlight columns, and assigned catalogue entries. Responsible for coordinating with other departments to develop materials on American Art, including interpretive materials, such as gallery guides.
▪ Contributes in the conception, development and implementation of exhibitions. Including assisting with the design and installation of exhibitions as assigned, as well as the archiving of exhibition files.
▪ Provides assistance with developing accompanying exhibition publications and materials, with a special emphasis on the didactic and interpretive materials that contextualize the recent re-installation of the permanent collection.
▪ Presents public lectures and gallery talks about exhibitions or about specific artists in the permanent collection.
▪ Builds and maintains relationships with other organizations of both academic and non-academic nature in the Kalamazoo community and region.
▪ Work with Museum Education and other departments as needed, including the Kirk Newman Art School.
▪ Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Curator.
▪ Ability to work effectively in a team setting within the department and collaborate across institutions and within the community.
▪ Effective communication skills with the vast and diverse academic and public constituencies.
▪ Innovative, yet pragmatic approach to building new audiences and stakeholders.
▪ Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
▪ Knowledge or awareness of collections software.
▪ Excellent oral and written capabilities.
▪ Keen attention to detail and basic knowledge of organizational best practices.
The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
Physical Job Requirements: While performing this job, the employee will be required to sit, stand, walk, reach, lift/move up to 50 lbs occasionally, do close work with a computer monitor and perform repetitive hand movements. Employee required to be able to have written and verbal conversations.
This position is a full-time, exempt position offering the following benefits: health, dental, 403(b) retirement matching, vacation time and sick time. The KIA is an equal opportunity, equal access employer that is fully committed to diversity, equity, access, and inclusion in the workplace.
Please forward a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Postdoctoral Curatorial Fellow in the subject line or by mail to Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, 314 S. Park Street, Kalamazoo, MI 49007. No phone calls, please.