The Controller leads all day-to-day accounting operations, including functional responsibility over accounting, financial reporting, accounts payable, daily sales and payroll. The Controller will ensure that the Museum maintains accounting records in accordance with GAAP and has adequate internal controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the Museum’s reported financial results. The position reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
o Oversee accounts payable to ensure that invoices are paid in a timely manner and posted correctly to the general ledger
o Oversee biweekly payroll processing o Oversee daily recording of revenues/cost of sales (admissions, retail, food and beverage, memberships and gifts to the Museum)
o Reconcile all bank accounts for the Museum and Guild on a monthly basis o Reconcile various balance sheet accounts and maintain schedules on a monthly basis.
• Background Check
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required
• 3 - 5 years of related and progressively responsible accounting supervisory experience, preferably within a multi-faceted nonprofit organization; will also consider at least two years’ public accounting audit experience
• Prior experience with monthly close and financial reporting required
• Solid understanding of GAAP accounting; museum or nonprofit accounting knowledge preferred
• Very strong attention to detail
• High degree of integrity and commitment to maintaining confidentiality
• Superior work ethic, initiative and follow-through
• Commitment to internal and external customer service
• Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
• Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize and execute multiple tasks at once
• Ability to lead and also work collaboratively as part of a team, to solve problems and deliver solutions
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including advanced Microsoft Excel proficiency
• Blackbaud Financial Edge experience desired; Blackbaud Altru, Focus POS, NCR/CounterPoint and Paycom experience a plus.