August 16, 2021
Palm Springs Art Museum, Inc.
Chief Financial Officer
Job Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Reports to: Executive Director
Works Closely with: Board, Board Committees, all Museum Departments
Oversees: Director of Finance, Senior Staff Accountant, Staff Accountants
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Chief Financial Officer serves as a key member of the executive leadership team. He/She/They is responsible for ensuring financial leadership across all areas of the Museum, and is responsible for budgeting, forecasting, monitoring, reporting and policy-setting. The Chief Financial Officer acts as the chief accountant for the museum, overseeing the recording of all financial transactions accurately, timely, and efficiently. The position also provides standard and ad hoc reports on the Museum’s financial condition to internal and external audiences. The person also oversees all banking and investment relationships. The person works with the board of trustees, senior management and department managers to develop comprehensive systems for recording and reporting financial information.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads and supervises the Finance Department staff and provides the overall vision and direction of the department, including recruiting, interviewing, and selecting qualified staff; ensures that staff are trained and knowledgeable in Museum policies and procedures, departmental goals and objectives; providing guidance to ensure efficiency, accuracy, and service to Museum staff and constituents.
• Develops and monitors internal control policies and procedures and compliance with all federal, state, and other financial reporting requirements, and ensures compliance with all contract guidelines.
• Maintaining accounting control over the Museum’s restricted, board-designated and endowment funds.
• Manages the financial accounting system and related programs to ensure that transactions are recorded and reported accurately and appropriately, consistent with GAAP and other external standards, industry reporting protocols, and internal reporting needs.
• Responsible for communications and presentations to the Finance, Endowment and Audit Board Committees and other relevant sub committees/task forces.
• Direct and coordinate annual museum budget preparation as well as providing interim reports to directors and managers.
• Serves as the primary liaison with the Museum’s accounting firm and coordinate annual audit and issuance of annual financial statement
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance; emphasis on not-for-profit accounting is desirable. Holds an active CPA license.
· Knowledge of computerized financial/accounting packages. Experience with Sage Intacct is desirable.
· Advanced skills in Excel (pivot tables and VLookup), and other financial reporting programs.
· Ability to write clearly for financial and non-financial audiences.
The Chief Financial Officer should possess a positive, can-do personality, ensuring that the Finance Department is a customer service department in the Museum. Demonstrates teamwork, versatility and a focus on cross-training. Seeks ways to improve accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness of accounting processes. Maintains confidentiality of financial and other proprietary information. The ideal candidate will build positive relationships across all departments, keeping a pulse on financial activities throughout the organization.
Compensation and Benefits
The Museum provides a competitive salary and benefits package; including: medical and dental insurance (HMO and PPO options), vision, life insurance, and Aflac options. After six months employees are eligible to participate in the 401 (k) plan. We also offer vacation pay, generous paid holidays and paid sick leave, as well as free membership in the Museum.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Access and Inclusion
Palm Springs Art Museum strives to create an inclusive, equitable, and welcoming environment that honors all experiences and identities. We are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse staff, and are looking for a candidate that represents the diversity of our staff, visitors and community.
When applying, please ensure the following questions are addressed:
· How many years of high level non-profit accounting experience do you have?
· How many years of finance experience do you have?
· Do you have experience overseeing an endowment? If so what size?
· Are you CPA certified? Is your certification current?
· Are you authorized to work in the following country: United States?
· Are you willing to undergo a background check, in accordance with local law/regulations?
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Sorry, no phone calls can be accepted. All qualified candidates will be given careful consideration. Thank you for your interest in employment at Palm Springs Art Museum.