MANAGER/DIRECTOR OF INTERPRETATION
Joslyn Art Museum seeks applicants for a new Interpretation position, offering a motivated individual the opportunity to guide the creation of dynamic interpretive strategies as a transformative building expansion and renovation project is underway.
The person in this Interpretation role will collaborate with individuals across the Museum to develop diverse, equitable, accessible, and inclusive onsite and online interpretive materials and experiences for collections and exhibitions. They will work with curators, educators, designers, technology staff, and community partners to create engaging content that sparks relevant connections between today’s Museum audiences and art that spans centuries of creativity. They will develop written, audio, video, and digital content for a wide range of platforms. The position is open at the Manager or Director level. This is a full-time, exempt position, reporting to the Director of Education & Outreach.
· Interpretation development – collaborates with curators, educators, designers, and other team members to develop and execute collection reinstallations, rotations, and exhibitions; produces interpretive plans for Museum projects that articulate big ideas, key messages, visitor outcomes, and interpretive strategies; creates engaging interpretive materials and experiences such as texts, videos, audio and mobile content, participatory learning spaces, website content, and other digital learning platforms
· Content development and management – edits and proofs texts to be accessible, inclusive, and engaging to a diverse public audience; writes and/or edits scripts for audio guides and text for digital platforms; manages the production of digital assets in collaboration with curatorial, education, IT, design staff, and community partners; provides knowledge and guidance for developing interpretive technologies; manages interpretive content management systems and stewards relationships with external vendors
· Evaluation – works with Museum staff, outside evaluators, and community partners to conduct studies that inform interpretive planning and measure results of collection and exhibition interpretation; analyzes the impact of interpretive strategies and applies learning to future projects; develops reports and presentations for sharing data and evaluation findings to the Museum
· Administration – performs administrative tasks including but not limited to project budgets, contracts, statistics, and documentation
· Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum education, social sciences, or related field required; master’s degree preferred
· 5 years of experience in art museum interpretation or art museum education, or commensurate experience
· Strong knowledge of visitor engagement theory and practice, including current research on emerging technologies in Museum environments
· Excellent writing skills including ability to write about art in an accessible, engaging way for multiple platforms and diverse audiences; strong editing skills
· Experience working with digital platforms and content management systems
· Ability to work effectively with interdisciplinary teams; strong interpersonal communication skills; diplomatic and collaborative work style
· Ability to nurture and develop strong relationships with diverse external constituents and partners; strong understanding of community assets, resources, and interests
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a Word or PDF file, via e-mail to email@example.com.
Joslyn Art Museum is an Equal Opportunity Employer and the Museum is committed to diversity and equal opportunity in its hiring. Qualified candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply for this position. Joslyn offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package.