The Curator serves as a partner to the Curatorial team, Modern staff, and Board of Trustees. With a focus on special exhibitions and the permanent collection, the Curator is expected to publish appropriate supporting written materials and be a spokesperson for exhibitions generated for or hosted by the Museum. The curator should maintain a local, national, and international profile through relationships with artists, galleries, and colleagues; involvement in projects, lectures, talks, and tours; and outreach through travel and partnerships is also key to this role.
Duties—Acquisitions, Exhibitions, Administrative, and General Performance:
o Identify works for possible acquisition for the museum’s collection; negotiate financial terms of acquisitions when directed by Chief Curator
o Develop special exhibition ideas individually and with colleagues inside and outside the Museum and manage all aspects of presentation and publication.
• Serve as Curator-in-Charge for selected traveling exhibitions hosted by the Modern.
• Collaborate with other departments to create programming for exhibitions and to aid in outreach and fundraising opportunities
• Cultivate relationships with the broader cultural community in Fort Worth and with donors and future donors
• Help the Modern develop increasingly equitable practices in infrastructure, programs, and external relations
• Collaborate with other departments for input and counsel on decisions affecting the Modern’s annual and long-term operating plans, including strategic goals
• Other duties as assigned by the Chief Curator or Director
• Minimum MA in Art History
• Minimum five years of experience in a modern/contemporary art curatorial position
• Significant record of publication in the field
• Exceptional communication, research and organizational skills
• A talent for collaboration and project management
• Self-motivated and self-directed, with the ability to prioritize and stay on task
• Ability to handle all Museum matters with maturity, honesty, tactfulness, and discretion
• International perspective
• Ability to travel
• Knowledge of/experience with modern and contemporary artists of Asia, Europe, and/or Africa a plus
• Fluency in additional languages a plus
Competitive salary and excellent benefits package. Applications should be sent to Angela Tucker, Director of Human Resources, Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, firstname.lastname@example.org, 817-738-9215.