Head of Communications and Marketing - 68833BR
Yale University, conveniently located between Boston and New York, offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Located in the heart of historic downtown New Haven with more than 100 local boutiques, national retailers, cafés, casual eateries, award-winning restaurants, and world-renowned theaters, galleries, and museums.
Reporting to the Deputy Director for Advancement and External Affairs, the Head of Communications and Marketing is responsible for developing and executing the Yale Center for British Art’s communications strategy to advance its institutional mission and grow its audiences.
This role will work to increase awareness about the Center including its collections, exhibitions, programs, and resources. The Head of Communications and Marketing will create an integrated marketing and communications strategy to deliver the institution's key messages across multiple platforms, including print and online to the general public, as well as university and scholarly communities nationally and internationally. The Head of Communications and Marketing is an enthusiastic advocate for the Center and serves as an important spokesperson to the media and broader community.
The position works with print, broadcast, and digital media, and develops long-term partnerships with writers, editors, designers, corporate sponsors, cultural organizations, state agencies, and other museum supporters. The position also oversees the Center’s website, marketing research and analysis, and advertising campaigns. The position works with curators, conservators, and other colleagues, as well as visiting scholars and Yale faculty to promote significant projects and synthesize academic ideas and exhibition concepts to create stories for the press and general public through a variety of channels, including print, e-newsletters, and social media. The position is responsible for organizing and managing press events, media tours, press trips, and multimedia projects such as videos, webcasts, and/or podcasts.
The Head of Communications leads a team of three which includes a Communications and Marketing Coordinator, a Digital Communications Manager, a New Haven Promise Fellow, as well as student workers/interns. This position is responsible for developing and overseeing the Center’s marketing and communications budget. They also work closely with communications colleagues across Yale’s campus and with Yale's Offices of Public Affairs and Communication (OPAC) to promote and support the Center’s overall mission and cross-campus initiatives.
• Writing: Excellent writing skills to communicate with the press and public. A commitment to promoting the Center’s collections, exhibitions, and programs in a positive, compelling way.
• Teamwork/Communication: Work cooperatively across departments to achieve common goals.
• Leadership: Provide direction and motivation to others through communication, modeling appropriate behavior, optimism, and high achievement.
• Innovation: Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to react and adapt to changing circumstances appropriately, and to play a pivotal role in creating an inclusive museum environment.
• Strategic Thinking: Create strategic plan for marketing and communications. Recognize opportunities, identify critical activities to engage audiences more effectively.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s Degree in English, Journalism, Communications, or a related field and four years of experience in public relations, journalism, newspaper writing, editing, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Superb writing skills. Proven editorial skills across multiple media such as print, web, and social media. Demonstrated knowledge of AP and/or Chicago Manual of Style. Proven success in strategic planning, organizational positioning, and marketing plans.
• Demonstrated success in developing and managing multiple projects and deadlines from conception to completion with exceptional attention to detail. Excellent judgment in time sensitive situations.
• Demonstrated ability with press relations, including local, national (International preferred), print, online, and broadcast media campaigns. Demonstrated skills in organizing and managing media events and multimedia projects, as well as analyzing website and social media metrics.
• Demonstrated success in producing content for a website. Experience with Drupal or similar content management system. Demonstrated ability to manage teams and collaborate effectively with a diverse group to achieve a common goal.
• Proficient in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and Adobe lnDesign, Acrobat, and Photoshop. Demonstrated ability with email marketing systems.
• Preferred Education and Experience: 5 years of successful communications/marketing leadership responsibility in a cultural institution. Experience w/ content management systems. Demonstrated ability w/ public speaking and presentation to the media. Master's degree in art history or journalism/communication. Experience working in a museum, university, or non-profit org. Experience with Drupal, Bedework, and HTML editing.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at https://apptrkr.com/2640725. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.