EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR VACANCY
The Board of Directors of The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art in St. Petersburg, Florida is searching for a visionary leader to be the next Executive Director for this new and growing museum. An entrepreneurial and strategic thinker with past success in the arts and culture industry will thrive in this role. Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will lead a 45-person team and $4.5M budget working to further position The James Museum for near- and long-term success.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for implementing the museum’s mission, growing its financial sustainability, leading the museum through the AAM accreditation process, and expanding key internal and external relationships, among other duties. The Executive Director oversees the museum’s leadership team which heads eight departments: Curatorial; Education & Public Programs; Visitor Experience; Marketing; Development & Membership; Finance; Administration; and Facilities & Operations.
ABOUT THE MUSEUM
The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art in St. Petersburg, Florida opened in April 2018, with a mission to provide experiences that inspire human connection and transformation through art that depicts the peoples, landscapes, and history of the American West and wildlife of the world. More than 400 premier works of art including sculpture, paintings and jewelry are on display in the museum’s 26,000 square feet of gallery space. The museum’s strong team of diverse employees has accomplished much over the last 4 years and is currently in the process of translating the words of the Mission/Vision/Values into exciting programming that includes special exhibitions in a variety of genres, artist talks, performances, docent-led tours, and a variety of activities for children and families. The staff and Board of Directors are ready to welcome a new leader to take the institution forward.
PREFFERED QUALIFICATIONS & QUALITIES
• Relevant leadership experience (described below)
• Experience working in an established cultural organization preferred
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution – Graduate degree preferred
• Strong people management skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• High level of integrity and ethics
• Experience leading an organization through an accreditation process preferred
• Demonstrate an understanding of and respect for all facets of museum operations
• Ability to connect with, translate and put into action the mission, vision, and values of The James
• Past success in achieving strategic goals for an attendance driven organization
• Ability to identify opportunities and threats and take appropriate action
• Strategic and entrepreneurial thinking
• Effective budget planning and management skills
• Proven results in leading financial growth across revenue sources—earned, contributed and
• Ability to request, digest and utilize data, such as historical financial reports and forecasts, in decision
Stakeholder & Community Leadership
• Ability to engage and build trust with a wide range of stakeholders including staff, Board members and partners
• Possess high-level donor cultivation skills and, in collaboration with Development Department, generate support for major exhibitions and other projects
• Recognized history of championing the principles of DEAI (diversity, equity, access, and inclusion)
• Proven ability to work with local government, museum, and community leaders
• Understanding of and sensitivity to the diverse communities that the museum serves, both locally and
$160,000 - $240,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications, plus a competitive benefits package
ABOUT ST. PETERSBURG
Located on Florida’s Gulf Coast, St. Petersburg (St. Pete) offers a vibrant mix of tropical weather, arts and culture, shopping, dining, sports, and outdoor recreation all along a stunning shoreline that features some of the nation’s top-ranked beaches. With weather that sees averages of 74°F and 361 days of sunshine per year, St. Pete attracts tourists, new residents, and investments from across the country and beyond. Ranked as a top arts and cultural destination among cities its size, St. Pete is home to world- famous museums and independent galleries, a thriving performing arts scene, film festivals, live music, a vibrant literary arts community, and public art installations. Downtown St. Pete is a bustling business district with dozens of galleries, shops, restaurants, high-rise office buildings, condos and museums including The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art, the Dali Museum, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Chihuly Collection. More than 265,000 people make their home in St. Pete, living across 100+ distinct neighborhoods throughout the city and contributing to a regional workforce of over 1.4 million.
Please send a cover letter outlining your skills, significant accomplishments and why you should be our next leader; detailed resume; writing sample; salary requirements; and three professional references (they will not be contacted without advanced permission) to Richard Lefante, HR Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org. For inquiries, contact Richard Lefante, M-F, 10am-4pm EST at (646)251-8470.
Monday, January 16, 2023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The James Museum of Western & Wildlife Art is an equal opportunity employer and we aspire to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. We will consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characters protected by law. We believe that building a workforce of the brightest people from the widest possible range of backgrounds, we can innovate and inspire and engage with the widest possible audience.
150 Central Avenue • St. Petersburg, FL • 727.892.4200 • thejamesmuseum.org