The Chief Operating Officer (COO) oversees the museum’s ongoing operations and capital expenditure program; and develops policies and procedures to this end. Direct areas of responsibility include campus management and maintenance, including landscaping; security; information technology; retail store; risk management; co-responsibility for capital campaign with Director & CEO. The COO is also responsible for the contractual relationship with Constellation Culinary Group, the Norton’s restauranteur. The COO is responsible for the long-range and strategic planning in these areas; leads, manages, coaches, and develops the staff that fulfills these duties; and works closely with them to ensure the smooth operation of the Museum. The COO will also manage two Board committees: the Physical Facilities Committee; and, in conjunction with the CFO, the Audit & Risk Committee. The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is a member of the museum’s senior leadership team and reports to the Director &CEO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Building and Campus Maintenance
- Oversee capital projects and yearly capex budget.
- Provide structure and support to the Director of Facilities & Operational Logistics to ensure the entire Norton campus, including gardens and landscaping, is maintained, and operated in a manner that is consistent with a world-class museum.
- Responsible for the management and rental of any Cranesnest properties and the acquisition of any future property.
- Provide structure and support to the Director of Security in his/her duties implementing the comprehensive security program for the museum campus ensuring the safety of the Norton and its employees, visitors, and art collection, while at the same time ensuring the seamless training, collaboration, and communication among the various front-line staff (Security, Visitor Experience, The Store, and the Restaurant).
- Security must also work seamlessly with IT to ensure the safety of the Norton’s digital profile and data (cyber security).
- Provide guidance and coaching to the Director of Security to enable him/her and the staff to function at the highest level. Ensure completion of training, coaching, and performance management process.
- Provide structure and support to the Director of IT to ensure the safety and security and integrity of the Norton’s data, both internally and externally.
- Working with the Director of IT, maintain a progressive and forward-looking cyber security posture, which includes ongoing staff training and awareness.
Earned Revenue (Retail Services/Restaurant)
- Provide structure and support to the Director of Retail Services in order to maximize earned revenue potential.
- Responsible for the contractual relationship with the Norton’s restauranteur, Constellation Culinary Group.
- Working with Constellation’s management staff, responsible for maximizing revenue opportunities.
- Responsible and accountable for the Museum’s risk management program.
- Working with contractors, consultants, and architects, support the expansion of the museum.
- In conjunction with the CEO, supervise and direct the activities of the owner’s rep on the construction project.
- Provide leadership, structure and support for all areas of responsibility, ensuring department goals align with the overall mission and vision of the organization.
- Provide guidance and coaching to the Directors of these departments to enable them and their respective staffs to function at the highest level.
- Ensure completion of performance management process and reaching agreed upon annual goals.
- Other projects as assigned.
- A minimum ten years of increasing responsibility in operational leadership, and strategic planning.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the position; master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with large capital and construction projects is highly desirable.
- Experience in the non-profit cultural arts sector is a plus.
- Real estate management experience is a plus.
- Impeccable integrity, solid work ethic, positive attitude, and a sense of humor are required.
- Proven ability to work with high profile individuals and discretion with confidential information.
- Demonstrated experience in motivating, managing, and developing teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and listening abilities.
- Solid presentation skills