Senior Director of Marketing and Communications
Reports to: The Eugene McDermott Director
Department: Communications and Marketing
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
DMA Mission: The Dallas Museum of Art is a space of wonder and discovery where art comes alive.
The DMA will:
- Place art and our diverse communities at the center around which all activities radiate.
- Pursue excellence in collecting and programming, present works of art across cultures and time, and be a driving force in contemporary art.
- Strengthen our position as a prominent, innovative institution, expanding the meaning and possibilities of learning and creativity.
Description of the Position:
As the Dallas Museum of Art prepares to implement its new strategic plan 2017 – 2020, the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for reinvigorating and redefining the DMA’s brand, messaging, marketing and communications strategy, nationally and internationally and both externally and internally. The Senior Director of Marketing and Communications will assume leadership of all of the DMA’s marketing and communications activities, starting by reviewing the organizational structure, objectives, and procedures of the function to foster the development of best practices. The Senior Director of Marketing and Communications will manage and direct all constituents and Museum points of contact as necessary, including managing the earned revenue streams (e.g., box office, gift shop, food service and parking).
Scope of Position:
The Senior Director of Marketing and Communications serves as leading spokesperson to the media and the broader community about the DMA. Partnering across all divisions of the DMA, this thoughtful and influential leader infuses the mission in all DMA marketing and communications, leads digital social media strategy, messaging, implementation, and analysis. The position ignites excitement about the DMA through accurate and widespread media coverage of the DMA’s work and serves as a passionate advocate of the Museum locally, nationally and internationally through a visionary approach. This position is the top position in the marketing and communications area at the DMA with responsibility for the entire function.
The division consists of 15 full-time and part-time employees with an annual budget of approximately $1.8 million.
- Reports to the DMA Eugene McDermott Director (the Director) and works collaboratively and effectively across divisions developing strong relationships with other senior team members, understanding their objectives and working to promote the mission and goals of the Museum
- Serves as a senior member of the DMA’s team; the Senior Director of Marketing and Communications determines short/long-range goals, plans, policies, and budgets for the division to support the strategic plan of the DMA
- Provides dynamic leadership and influential direction to marketing and communications both internally and externally, to attract audiences of all ages via awareness of the DMA
- Develops and executes social media digital marketing strategies designed to communicate brand positioning via Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
- Focuses on increasing brand awareness by gaining Followers, Likes, and email subscribers.
- Develops influencer strategy, content driven strategy, and overall following in alignment with social media strategy and brand positioning.
- Implements marketing automation tools to maintain consistent post and email frequency
- Responsible for overseeing Google Adwords campaign and ad spend; monitors Google Analytics for hotspots, click through rates, and bounce rates; reports monthly on both Adwords and Analytics.
- Monitor Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Marketing, and sales performance metrics to forecast trends.
- Establishes a best practice protocol for mission driven understanding of how the DMA brand should be known to both internal and external audiences; coordinates, develops, and directs DMA messaging strategy – right message, right messenger, right audience, at the right time.
- Creates and implements all marketing efforts to ensure effective communication, help attract new audiences, communicate priorities, and elevate event exposure with all DMA external audiences and communities; Ensures all marketing and communications collateral represents exceptional quality and attention to detail.
- Recruits, develops, and retains a professional and committed team, including terminating employees when necessary.
- Develops and manages revenue goals and departmental budgets
- Oversees and identifies opportunities to enhance and broaden earned revenue streams by aligning marketing and communication strategies and ensures that all related financial growth opportunities and communications are a blended and unified process
- Oversees website design and content; constantly analyzes and adjusts to ensure maximum impact
- Constantly improves the department’s performance by assessing strengths, as well as areas requiring improvement, and making necessary adjustments
- Provides best-in-class communications support for DMA Board members as they engage on key Museum efforts
- Creates and/or oversees all written communications, including speeches, talking points, presentations, event materials and invitations, letters, e-mails, blogs, social media, etc.
- Leads any crisis communication needs that may arise
- Develops communication strategies for Director and other senior executives to deliver effective presentations and messages to key audiences including the Board, DMA constituency, media, current and future investors, the broader Dallas community, and establish a respected global presence
- Pitches the Director and other members of the leadership team for strategic speaking opportunities and appearances that will help further the DMA’s goals
- Creates and submits application to the annual MarCom Awards.
Education, Experience, and Certification:
- Prior museum experience required
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or a related area required
- MBA in Marketing, Business, or related field preferred
- Proven track record of successfully leading a thriving team
- Minimum 10 years of increasing responsibility experience in strategic communications, marketing, public and media relations, or a related field
- Must have prior experience managing or overseeing operating functions such as box office, gift shop, parking and foodservice, or related area
- Advanced technical skills required
- Must be able to execute strategy and provide reporting on results
- Digital Marketing Abilities: Effective and relevant hands-on experience in relation to all aspects of digital marketing and communications; Ability to create and execute a digital marketing plan with key performance indicators and milestones
- Effective Communications: Effectively expresses and communicates ideas, both orally and in writing; Subject matter expert in latest communication trends to ensure DMA is always at the leading edge of best practices; Listens actively to information presented by others; Clearly expresses desired outcomes; Keeps all appropriate parties informed on projects, issues and collaborates for practical solutions
- Leadership: Motivates, leads by example and provides recognition; welcomes the opportunity to lead and successfully deliver; self–confident; takes responsibility and accountability for the outcome of work; plans and prepares for all projects; decisive and able to set priorities, formulate goals and establish a course of action; works for the common good, appreciating the views of others; initiates and supports changes needed for future growth
- Personal Interactions: Goes above and beyond to respond to the needs of internal and external audiences both efficiently and effectively; Treats others, including peers, superiors and subordinates with respect, fairness and sensitivity
- Quality of Work: Conforms to the highest professional standards in achieving results. Work is complete, accurate, on time, and cost effective. Leads by example while adhering to the organizational vision
- Fiscal Capabilities: Ability to successfully manage function wide budgetary responsibilities, including projections and cost analyses for proposals and grant purposes
- Conduct Standards: Keeps information confidential, speaks honestly, clearly, yet tactfully; Consistently respects all of the Museum’s policies and displays professional demeanor as a representative of the DMA
- Problem Solving: Contributes ideas with supporting rationale and an action plan to improve quality and productivity; Supports/executes implementation of these ideas to promote change and success
- Teamwork / Attitude: Collaborates toward the overall stability of the DMA by forming internal partnerships and building/nurturing external relationships; Moves seamlessly in and out of teams
- Time Management: Manages time well and displays an above and beyond attitude to complete projects
- Initiative: Actively influences and brings forward collaboration. Self-starter who is self-disciplined and seeks innovative approach
The Dallas Museum of Art is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
Visit https://chp.tbe.taleo.net/chp01/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=DMA&cws=1&rid=363 to apply.