Curator of Islamic Art
Reports to: Chief Curator
Department: Islamic Art
Classification: Exempt, Full time
DMA Mission: The Dallas Museum of Art (DMA or the Museum) is a space of wonder and discovery where art comes alive.
The DMA will:
Scope of Position:
The Curator of Islamic Art is responsible for curating and building the Dallas Museum of Art’s Islamic art collection and for curating and managing the renowned Keir collection of Islamic art, which is on loan to the DMA through 2029. The Keir Collection came to the DMA on a long-term agreement with the trustees of the Keir Collection that was finalized in 2014, transforming the Museum into the third largest repository of Islamic art in the United States.
• Direct departmental acquisitions to enhance the quality and range of the collection by the addition of new works through purchase and gift, representing the highest
standard of connoisseurship in accordance with DMA policies and procedures, national and international law, and within the ethical standards established by organizations including AAMD and AAMC.
• Actively seek opportunities to cultivate partnerships with the community of artists, critics, dealers, museum colleagues, curators, professional organizations, collectors,
trustees, and friends of the Museum to enhance the DMA’s position and relevance domestically and abroad and promote the museum’s collection.
• Collaborate with the Collections and Conservation Departments to maintain and conserve the DMA and Keir collections of Islamic art including cataloguing, identifying conservation needs, reviewing all loan requests, etc.
• Conceive, organize, and manage installations and special exhibitions from the DMA’s collection and traveling exhibitions.
• Assist the Registrar with co-ordination of outgoing loans from the DMA’s permanent Islamic art collection and the Keir Collection and act as a courier when required.
• Develop, coordinate and rotate displays in the Keir Collection of Islamic Art Gallery and develop, curate and project manage special temporary exhibitions of the Keir Collection.
Research and Scholarship:
• Continue professional development through participation in appropriate museum and arts organizations.
• Conduct scholarly research, including writing for catalogues and publishing other materials regarding the DMA Islamic art collection and the Keir collection of Islamic art, exhibition, and related materials.
• Promote and facilitate research on the collection by outside scholars.
• Work with the DMA’s Mildred R. and Frederick M. Mayer Library to build resources for the study of Islamic art and culture.
• Collaborate with the Edith O’Donnell Institute of Art History to create academic courses and programs to expand scholarship and raise recognition of the DMA Islamic art and Keir collections.
• Collaborate with the Development Department to cultivate support for acquisitions, exhibitions, symposia, research grants, and fellowships through association with professional organizations, foundations, and patrons on local, national, and international levels.
Assist with fundraising and public relations efforts to support and promote the Keir collection of Islamic art and DMA activities, including working with the Development Department to identify and draft grant opportunities related to Islamic art needs and projects.
• Actively participate in the development and implementation of plans to engage professional and community stakeholders in the Islamic diasporic communities comprised of over 100,000 individuals in the Dallas-Ft. Worth metroplex.
• Collaborate with the Education Department to develop and present resources and programs relating to the interpretation of the collections and special exhibitions for the public such as gallery texts, publications, gallery talks and lectures, electronic media, docent training, and etc.
• Respond to queries from the scholarly community and public in relation to Islamic art and the cultures it represents.
Education, Experience, and Certification:
The Dallas Museum of Art is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
or email email@example.com