Art Preparator / Art Handler
The Dolby Chadwick Gallery in San Francisco seeks a highly motivated, experienced and detail-oriented Art Preparator to join our team.
Schedule: Four to five days a week.
Start Date: We are looking for someone to start immediately.
Availability: Tuesday - Friday (9 - 6), occasionally Saturday (11 - 5)
The ideal candidate must possess the following:
- Experience in a gallery or museum with excellent references
- Working knowledge of safe and proper art handling, packing & installation methods suitable to a wide range of media
- Knowledge of international and domestic shipping
- Capable of excelling in a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to prioritize various tasks and complete them in a safe and timely manner
- Must exhibit an ability to pay careful attention to detail
- Basic carpentry skills including wall repair and painting
- Physically able to lift and safely move artworks of varied dimensions and weight with assistance
- Professional demeanor
- Positive, upbeat attitude
- Installing and de-installing artworks for exhibitions
- Safely handling artworks for client presentations
- Packing artworks safely for storage, shipping or off-site deliveries
- Moving artworks of various weights and dimensions throughout the gallery or to and from delivery trucks
- Working with the Registrar to perform condition reports for artworks coming in and going out
- Helping to provide on-site supervision and care of all works of art
- Scheduling shipping and keeping organized records
- Helping to maintain gallery schedule especially regarding shipments and deliveries
Minimum Qualifications & Skills:
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of art handling, international and domestic shipping, and storage techniques
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks and deadlines
- Team player - “can do” spirit
- Self-starter with ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and meet deadlines
- Valid driver's license
If you feel as though you are a good fit for this position please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.