As of January 28, 2020, art museums seeking membership in AAMD must have an annual operating budget of $2 million or higher.
To apply for membership in AAMD, please send a letter expressing the desire to become a member of AAMD, along with your CV, to Stephanie Yao, Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the letter is received:
- If you are a director of an institution that has either not previously been a member of AAMD before, or that has not been a member within the last three years, you will receive a link to complete a pre-application form, which will be used to determine an applicant’s readiness for membership. Within three weeks of submitting the pre-application form, you will be notified by an AAMD staff member about the next steps in the process.
- If your institution has been a member of AAMD within the last three years, you will receive an email confirmation and a formal application form in the next available cycle.
All applications will be sent out in the order in which the request is received. AAMD’s Membership Committee reviews applications three times a year (typically January, April, and October). The Membership Committee forwards its approved applications to AAMD’s Board of Trustees, which also meets three times a year, to make the final decision. You will be notified once the Board of Trustees has made their decision.
- AAMD staff will respond to initial letters of inquiry as quickly as possible, typically within one week of receiving your letter.
- Pre-application forms will be reviewed within 3 weeks from the date they are submitted.
- Applicants are given 6-8 weeks to complete a full application package. Applications that are submitted past the given deadline may be held for the subsequent review cycle. That includes recommendation letters that are received past the due date.
- Once the application is submitted, it typically takes 4-6 weeks for review, first by the Membership Committee and then by the Board of Trustees. Applicants will be notified within two weeks following the Board of Trustees decision.